Monday, October 19, 2009

still smiling.

She smiled. And told me her back hurt.

When I asked about her medical history, salty tears dropped.

I was feeling particularly sorry for myself that day…Jon halfway across the world, the stress of boards hanging over my head, residency applications, worries about the future, time management, emails to send, phone calls to make…away from the comfort of my “own space”.

I sighed & tried to show compassion—failing miserably in the process.

Those tears dropped. Tissues soaked. And again, she smiled.

1995: her soul mate died unexpectedly.
1996: her oldest daughter was brutally raped.
1997: her home was robbed, everything of value stolen.
2002: her oldest brother died of brain cancer.
2005: her younger brother died of colon cancer.
2007: her first grandchild came into the world…& left too quickly.
2008: her younger daughter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of thyroid cancer at age 28.

And now, 2009. She is here…talking to me…telling me about the "no big deal" pain in her back. STILL SMILING.

God showed me compassion…and softened my hardened heart with grace.

Because the old adage is true: someone ALWAYS has it worse off than you.

3 comments:

Jodie said...

wow. i have never had that many shivers come to my body so fast. thanks for the perspective.

joyfuliving said...

weird.

i was seriously doing a 'mind post' about this exact.same.topic.

and what a blessing the Lord does when He brings someone into our life as a reminder. powerful.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin